DIFFICULTY: 3 out of 5 35 mins
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/fan 150°C/gas mark 3.
2. Put a heavy bottomed frying pan or griddle on a high heat. Add 2 tsp oil. Once the pan / oil has heated up, chargrill the aubergines for 5 mins. Set aside.
3. Put a medium pan on a medium heat. Add 2 tbsp oil.
4. Add the onion to the pan and cook / stir for 3-4 mins – until translucent.
5. Add the all spice and lamb mince and cook for 4-5 mins. Add the tomatoes, bay leaves and cinnamon sticks and cook for another 10 mins. Stir occasionally.
6. Meanwhile, put a small pan on a medium heat. Add the cream and keep stirring until boiling. Then add the cheese and continue stirring until melted. Season with a little salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
7. Now get an ovenproof dish. Add half of lamb mixture. Layer half of aubergines on top. Add rest of lamb mixture and then rest of aubergines.
8. Mix the egg yolks into the cream / cheese mixture then pour on top of the aubergines. Put the oven proof dish in the oven for 10 mins.
9. Meanwhile, make the salad by tossing the carrot, salad leaves, mint, lime juice, 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp water in a bowl.
10. To serve place the oven proof dish on a mat, put some salad and bread on a plate and spoon on the moussaka.