DIFFICULTY: 4 out of 5 40 mins
1. For the risotto, bring the beetroot to the boil in a saucepan with half the stock then
2. Heat 1 (2) tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the shallot, garlic and thyme leaves. Cook gently for 2-3 mins until softened.
3. Add the rice to the pan and stir to coat the grains. Stir for another 1-2 mins until the grains begin to look translucent.
4. Add the white wine vinegar to the pan and allow it to bubble up and reduce slightly
5. Add the mushrooms and a ladleful of the remaining stock. Stir until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
6. Continue adding the stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring between each addition as the liquid is absorbed.
7. When you have used all the stock, start adding the simmering beetroot stock (including the beetroot pieces) in the same way. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
8. Cook until the rice grains are tender but retain some bite. You may not need to use all of the beetroot stock.
9. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to a medium high heat. Make the gremolata by mixing together the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, parsley and garlic.
10. Grill the cod for 3-4 mins on one side. Turn the cod over, sprinkle the gremolata on top, drizzle with a little olive oil and grill for a further 3-4 mins until cooked to your liking and the topping is golden.
11. When the risotto is cooked, remove from the heat, stir in the soft cheese and season to taste.
12. Serve the cod on a bed of risotto with the crumbled Wensleydale on top. Garnish with any leftover thyme.